Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Can I go ahead and put it out there that every single painting class I've attended this semester so far (6: 3 hour sessions twice a week for the past 3 weeks), I have cried during or after? My final class of painting, the highest level, the brightest artists, the intimidatingly knowledgeable professor, the blank canvas, the rough start, the critiques comin' in hot, the feelings of embarrassment, of shame, of disgust, the inability to convey, the inability to identify what it is I want to convey, the feeling that I know nothing after all these years of art instruction...


I came across this quote and I want to take the liberty to apply it also to my situation in Fine Arts 405_3323:

“We write (paint, create, express) to find out what we know and what we want to say.” 
 -William Zinsser, Writing to Learn 

Just keep swimming, just the swimming, swimming swimming...

1 comment:

  1. For record, I have a house full of paintings, photography,drawings, prints, and even a vase which gloriously reflect the talent and beauty which is you. But, I can respect where you are in terms of your feelings. Though I am saddened by them I would encourage you to breathe deeply (or swim) and listen to what the Artist wants to say through you. A quote right back atcha: "Take time for quiet as God whispers while the world is loud." (unknown) I love you so! ...oooxxx...

    ReplyDelete