In honor of the birthday of the United States of America, the country of which I am a citizen of, I would like to pay tribute to the beautiful things that are tan nuestro, so ours, as United Statesians:
- Mega-chain coffee shops with ground coffee, soy milk, and sugary syrups: Yes, I am being serious, I actually miss the fact that you can count on these corperate hounds to satisfy your sweet tooth, caffinated desires at any corner strip mall of suburbia.
- Breakfast: Big, hearty, all-food-group-encompasing, American breakfasts. Pass the bacon.
- The ability to be able to count on super stores like Target and Michaels for any random object you find yourself in need of (or in want of): It's just that assurity that you can count on that makes you feel secure in life.
- Readings that do our culture, landscape, and history proud: Ralph Waldo Emerson's poetry, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Mark Twain's literature and witty quotes, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Time Magazine, and the Sunday comics.
- Regional stereotypes, accents, styles, foods that actually can be rather fun to see realized in real life: California valley girl-isms, Texan cowboy hats, Midwestern gravy, New York City yuppies, etc.
- Road trips: Pacific Coast Highway, Route 66, middle-of-nowhere diners and nothing but road for miles.
- Rock n' Roll baby.
And, some of my old photos that to me, are also so Americana:
Happy 4th of July!