Friday, October 29, 2010

The Pusuit of Happiness Comfort

When we are hungry, we fill up.
When we are in pain, we pop a pill.
When we have to wait in line, we complain.
When we are being challenged, we question God.


I am guilty of relating my overall well-being and my relationship with God based on my comfort level. Or shall I say, I relate my well-being: relationship with God: comfort level. Or visa versa really, as they are all 3 intertwined but rest on the foundation of how comofortable I am in my life. If I am? My relationship with God is great and I am well! If I am uncomfortable, my relationship with God suffers and I then I am not well.


But why is the issue comfort, I ask? What is so wrong with a little discomfort? As Chilean author Isabel Allende-- a favorite of mine-- said in a talk I heard her give last year, "What is wrong with a little pain? [Comfort]... is overrated." I think she has a point in that really, what is so wrong about it? We label discomfort as bad, naturally, but now with the technology and wealth we have around us, we avoid this badness at all costs. And for what? Millions suffer daily and actually benefit from a certain level of discomfort. "...We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance; and endurance, character; and character, hope."  In many circumstances that arise in our modern daily lives, it is perhaps more unhealthy into obessively pursue comfort than to in fact be temporarily uncomfortable.


Of course I can't make a general "we" statement and tell the West to stop complaining. But this is a personal revelation for me. To be aware of when I am filling myself emptiliy to satisfy my comfort level, and when I should revel a bit more in what God could potentially be teaching me through the discomfort. Even if it's on the simplest level of being ok with being hungry. 


So I'll start now... right after I eat breakfast ;)

1 comment:

  1. One of our prayers for you over the years has been Eph 1:16-19: Spiritual wisdom, eyes of your heart enlightened, understanding God's incredible greatness. And Dad's prayers for C's (clarity, conviction, etc): none of the C's is comfort. Ah, the joy to see a "yes!" to these years of prayer. I love you forever, Kake.

    ReplyDelete